STATIC DISCLAIMER: All the stuff in here is purely my opinions, and they tend to change depending on what mood I'm in. If you're going to get bitter if I say something about you that you don't like, then maybe don't read. I avoid using names as much as possible, and would request that people who know me do the same in their comments. Basically, I often vent my frustrations on here, so if you happen to be someone who frustrates me, expect to read a description of someone very much like you in here!

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Further again...

If you read my response to Nathan's comment on one of my previous posts, you'll notice a comment regarding my feelings that people perceive me as the young and inexperienced IT guy, and thus treat me like I know very little, if not nothing at all, of any real importance. It's that whole "work experience student"/apprentice mentality. This isn't always the case but it happens far more then I'd like.

Anyway, I just fixed a printer for a staff member here, and you know what they offered in thanks?


"Thankyou Justin. You're a good boy."

I officially feel demeaned. I'm a good boy? Well, that's nice to know. Not "thanks justin for not commenting how ridiculously stupid I am for not noticing the blinking orange light indicating my printer was out of toner", which probably would be more factual, but rather an observation that is completely malformed.
Number 1 - whether or not I'm "good" in the sense she's implied has no baring whatsoever on what I've just done for her.
Number 2 - The implication of the word "boy" here is not merely "a person of male gender", but rather " a child of male gender". Anyone else notice that I'm not in a stroller?

OK, if you voted "Yes" for me over reacting to this, then you're right. I have over reacted. I've just really had enough and am starting to consider leaving on a long holiday without indicating my intention to do so to anyone. It's not going to happen, but it's nice to dream. It lets me pretend that I can actually cope with all of this.

No comments: