STATIC DISCLAIMER: All the stuff in here is purely my opinions, and they tend to change depending on what mood I'm in. If you're going to get bitter if I say something about you that you don't like, then maybe don't read. I avoid using names as much as possible, and would request that people who know me do the same in their comments. Basically, I often vent my frustrations on here, so if you happen to be someone who frustrates me, expect to read a description of someone very much like you in here!

Monday, March 07, 2005

My first RELIGIOUS post

I've spent this afternoon in the office of one of my church's pastors. My wife and I have been attending Hawkesbury Church for a number of years now, and we've been a little unhappy of late. I don't want this particular post to be a whinge, mind you, as we're trying to work through the issues we have. Mind you, there are issues... I only say this because I'd like this post to serve as a reminder to myself that there are somethings that shouldn't be compromised.

"Our beliefs are according to the Bible, which is the infallible and authoritative Word of God. 2 Timothy 3:16-17"
This is a quote from my church's website. In my meeting this afternoon, this fundamental belief is what I went in to defend. The bible is the authoritative and infallible Word of God. Not the "gist" of it, or it coupled with some other form of evidence... Just the Bible. This is why I'm a bible-believing Christian, and not a Mormon or a Jehovah's Witness or some other variant of the truth (be offended, I don't care). Anyways, as it turns out, I came to sort of an... arrangement... with myself and my pastor. My wife and I had been thinking about leaving, and had mentioned this. We'd been going to another church a couple of times, just to try it on for size. We feel that our current church is starting to head in some directions that we're not entirely happy about, and that we don't have an avenue to challenge these ideas. Don't like it, can't change it, then leave - right? Well, that's where we were at. However, during this meeting this afternoon, my pastor said that perhaps we hadn't really given our church a fair chance. Although we felt unable to speak about our issues, we hadn't really tried very hard, and although I'm still skeptical about whether I'll see any real change out of all of this, I agreed to give it a chance.

So yep, there it is. If you're a complete stranger reading this, I promise if you ever return I will write more about interesting stuff next time (if ever) you return.

No comments: