STATIC DISCLAIMER: All the stuff in here is purely my opinions, and they tend to change depending on what mood I'm in. If you're going to get bitter if I say something about you that you don't like, then maybe don't read. I avoid using names as much as possible, and would request that people who know me do the same in their comments. Basically, I often vent my frustrations on here, so if you happen to be someone who frustrates me, expect to read a description of someone very much like you in here!

Friday, September 02, 2005

Lost in Translation - Addendum

Those of you who remember this post not so long ago will know my angst about American tranlitteration of anime. Well I just had to mention this...

Last night, my lovely wife and I were watching episode 11 of Please Twins (originally Onegai Twins). My wife can't keep up with the subtitles, so I'm forced to watch with the english dub, which I dislike. Anyway, I switched the subtitles on for a bit, and my wife suggested we keep them on so that we can compare. At a particular point in the show, two characters named Maiku (male) and Miina (female) are talking about how another female character named Kaarin is acting a bit strange. Then this line happens (not word-for-word acurate, but close enough):
English dub: (Miina) I don't think it's her time of the month.
Subtitles: (Miina) It's about that time of the month for her.

WHAAA??? It's either one or the other, you crazy crazy people. Can none of you actually speak Japanese? If not, WHAT ARE YOU DOING IN THIS INDUSTRY!?!?!
See, the thing that makes me most frustrated about this, is that I really think they did it because of their translitteration ethos. In the context, they probably thought it would sound better and fit better with how their American audience would understand it. Pleh...

アメリカ人たちはとても馬鹿です! 馬鹿!!!
(American tranlitteration: Americans rock! Yeah!)

2 comments:

mickey the wicked said...

anime is funnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

m said...

See this is one of the main reasons why I, and you, hate english dubs. I'm guessing that this is also a prime example of when a japanese vocal actor/ress has decided to ad lib in the script. American dub translators, being unable to understand japanese, have misread the context and decided that nobody would even notice, primarily because they didn't....