STATIC DISCLAIMER: All the stuff in here is purely my opinions, and they tend to change depending on what mood I'm in. If you're going to get bitter if I say something about you that you don't like, then maybe don't read. I avoid using names as much as possible, and would request that people who know me do the same in their comments. Basically, I often vent my frustrations on here, so if you happen to be someone who frustrates me, expect to read a description of someone very much like you in here!

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Link: Wow...

If this turns out to be true... wow...

On a side topic, dark matter has apparently now been proved to exist. Mind you, a lot of this is based on inference and supposition, but that's good enough, isn't it?

Now in my wallet, I have some "dark money". It's completely invisible, and although it's effects cannot be demonstrated through conventional means, I can demonstrate to you in my computer simulation and with the use of ultra-high-tech equiptment that it's just as real as real money. Anyone want to sell me a 30" LCD monitor? I've got more dark money then I know what to do with!

1 comment:

Nathan Zamprogno said...

There is little that could be more exciting than the prospect of limitless free energy.

OK, I can't back that up. There's lots of things of greater value than batteries that never run out, like my 3yo climbing into our bed in the morning, holding my groggy head and saying "Good morning. I love you. I'm Superman!". Gotta love that.

Sadly, though, I confidently predict this claim will be proven false (or more realistically, never be heard of again, which is much the same). Why? Because of the First Law of Thermodynamics.

Perpetual motion machines, engines that generate free energy, devices that purport to generate more energy than they consume... All bunk. There have been dozens of them, hundreds over many centuries. Many have clever mechanisms. Plenty are so complicated it is not immediately obvious why they cannot work. To be sure, each should be rigorously tested "just in case", for such is what drives new innovation and uproots science previously regarded as settled. But just like we don't need to re-test gravity from day to day, we can equally be sure that perpetual motion is a fantasy.