STATIC DISCLAIMER: All the stuff in here is purely my opinions, and they tend to change depending on what mood I'm in. If you're going to get bitter if I say something about you that you don't like, then maybe don't read. I avoid using names as much as possible, and would request that people who know me do the same in their comments. Basically, I often vent my frustrations on here, so if you happen to be someone who frustrates me, expect to read a description of someone very much like you in here!

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Wow

For quite a while now, my musical tastes have had a side-tangent into punk rock. Punk rock music doesn't really correlate with my usual music tastes, as I tend to like more "intelligent" music; music that is slightly unusual, or uses different time signatures, tone colours, blah blah blah. But the thing I think makes me love punk rock is being a drummer. Punk rock and drums just seem to go together like a fat mistake and a grovelling apology.

Anyway, the one band I've always really enjoyed listening to is Blink 182. Unlike many, many of the punk rock bands out there, they are actually really good musicians. They and Good Charlotte are really the only secular punk rock bands I listen to with any great loyalty. However, one thing about Blink is that some of their lyrics are about pretty explicit subject matter. As a Christian, I've cringed many a time as particular songs have blared out from my stereo in a public forum. I personally feel that I can deal with it - but it's the whole "offends your brother" thing that bothers me.
So that being said, imagine my surprise when I read the following lyrics off one of the two new tracks on their greatest hits album (this is just some of them, btw):

Come here, please hold my hand, Lord, now
Help me, I'm scared please show me how
To fight this, God has a master plan
And I guess, I am in his demand

Please save me, this time I cannot run
And I'll see, you when this is done
And now I, have come to realize
That you are, the one who's left behind

Please stay until I'm gone
I'm here hold on to me
I'm right here waiting

I was shocked. "Wow... this from Blink. Normally they sing about drunken parties and lots of sex". While some of the song I'm not 100% sure about, it would have to be the song that has the deepest subject matter I've ever heard come out of this band. For punk rockers, this is pretty amazing stuff. Good on them, I reckon.

Anyway, I won't write any more. Just expressing my impressedness at this song. It seems perhaps that many of the people I listen to are dealing with the same issues that I am, although I guess with different starting points. Hopefully they'll find the right conclusions...

1 comment:

m said...

I love it when this happens. From a Christian point of view I think that subconsciously I always expect secular bands to have no interest in God, or spiritual matters. When bands such as Evanesence or P.O.D claim to be Christians who chose to play in the secular genre, I automatically become suspicous of whether they are actually Christians or whether they are trying purely to increase their listener base. Incredibly synical of me, I know, but I just can't bring myself to accept statements like that. However, I am becoming more accepting as a result of band lyrics, and as a result of my wide and varied reading. I read somewhere (source unknown) about this guy who was claiming to be a Christian, though he was freely admitting that he had a major problem with swearing, so much so, that every second word was a bad one. He acknowledged that this wasn't good, and that he was working on it. This reaffirmed the fact that not everyone is perfect, all of us are struggling with some sort of issue. For me, mistrusting and pre-judging these peoples motives was something that I had to deal with.
I guess what I'm getting at is that it's great that we as Christians can identify with secular bands and their stuggle with religious issues. Possibly, if we feel strong enough, we can use this as an opportunity to mediate between them and God, asking God to continue working on them.
A lot of Christians look down upon secular bands, myself included. It's great that there are people like you pointing out the hope in existence in even secular lyrics.
This is a bit of a rambled and varied comment, so I hope it becomes clearer when someone other than me actually reads it...)